Enhancing Safety in our Communities

first_imgJaws of Life, defibrillators and ground search and rescue vehicles are just some of the things that will enhance safety in communities provincewide, thanks to help from the province’s Emergency Services Provider Fund. In total, 222 volunteer fire departments and emergency response organizations across the province will benefit from the fund, with 124 of those projects being announced today, March 19. “Firefighters and first responders are the backbone of our communities”, said Premier Rodney MacDonald. “This fund supports the work they do everyday to keep us safe in our neighbourhoods, town and cities. I wish to extend my heartfelt thanks to the many volunteer firefighters and emergency services workers for their self-less dedication to their communities and to our province.” Announced in September 2007, the fund began as a one-time, $5-million initiative. However, it has grown to almost $8.5 million to address the unique equipment and infrastructure needs of Nova Scotia’s volunteer fire departments and emergency response organizations. These organizations include ground search and rescue, lifeguards and ski patrols. “This financial support will help many volunteer firefighters and first responders get the equipment they need to stay safe while they respond to the safety needs of Nova Scotians in communities across the province,” said Jamie Muir, Minister of Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations. “It also assists these groups to purchase equipment to help keep our families safer in our homes and on our roads.” Wayne MacDonald, deputy chief of the East River Valley Volunteer Fire Department, was one of the first recipients to receive funding under this initiative. “With government’s help, we now can buy the much-needed equipment sooner,” said Mr. MacDonald. “We are buying new radios for communications, breathing apparatus bottles, masks, nozzles and proper hoses. One of our biggest purchases was the thermal imaging camera, which will help us to find the source of the fires sooner.” The fund also supported the infrastructure needs of various emergency groups and fire stations. The Berwick Fire Department for example, will receive $250,000 towards the construction of a new fire station. “We know that this fund will not fix everything or purchase every piece of equipment. But, it is a big step in the right direction,” said the premier. The fund was application-based and provided for a maximum of $250,000 for eligible projects. Projects have been approved for every county in Nova Scotia. A complete list of projects funded through the Emergency Services Provider Fund can be found at www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/muns/espf .last_img read more

Benefits Street star found dead on the street where the Channel 4

first_imgA man who appeared on Benefits Street has been found dead on the street where the Channel 4 show was filmed.Lee Nutley, who featured in the second series of the reality show, was pronounced dead by ambulance service staff at a house on Kingston Road, in Stockton on Monday.A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: “Police were called to an address on Kingston Road, Stockton, by ambulance service colleagues at around 5.40pm last night.”A man in his 40s was sadly pronounced deceased at the scene and there are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances. A file will therefore be prepared for the coroner.” Lee Nutley Lee NutleyCredit:XPOSUREPHOTOS.COM/XPOSUREPHOTOS.COM Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. A spokeswoman for North East Ambulance Service added: “I can confirm we were called to the Kingston Road area at 5.30pm yesterday and we despatched two services.”Mr Nutley was one of the residents of the street followed by cameras for the controversial documentary show.In his biography on the Channel 4 website before the series aired last year, it said: “Lee relies on his next-door neighbour Julie and the other residents of Kingston Road more than ever. With every appliance in his home broken he can’t even cook himself a meal.”Lee has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for the past year, living on £45 a week after being laid off by the construction company he worked for.”Now Lee finds himself in a constant battle with both ill health and the benefits system.”He has been ‘sanctioned’ for missing an appointment, a new government policy designed to encourage people off of benefits. He denies missing the appointment but his benefits have been cut anyway.”He says: ‘I’ve worked half my life, I’ve haven’t just sat on my a— since leaving school, I’ve worked all over the country. I need to earn some dollars, it’s no good walking the streets and that, I like work’.”last_img read more