Fiat Chrysler UAW reach tentative contract deal terms not disclosed

Fiat Chrysler, UAW reach tentative contract deal; terms not disclosed by The Associated Press Posted Sep 14, 2015 10:54 pm MDT Last Updated Sep 15, 2015 at 5:21 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email DETROIT – The United Auto Workers union and Fiat Chrysler have reached a tentative deal on a new contract that will set the pattern for pacts with General Motors and Ford.Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but both sides said a news conference would be held Tuesday evening.The union was seeking hourly pay raises for longtime workers who haven’t had one in a decade. It also wanted to at least close the gap between new hires who start at about half the $29 per hour that longtime workers are paid.Fiat Chrysler wanted to hold its hourly labour costs steady while GM and Ford wanted to cut theirs to be more competitive with foreign automakers.Contracts with all three companies expired Monday night but were extended while talks continued. read more

Somalia UN launches lifesaving vaccination campaign for children facing measles threat

“Among vaccine-preventable diseases, none is more deadly than measles,” said UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Country Representative Steven Lauwerier in a news release. Measles is a viral respiratory infection that spreads through air and contact with infected mucus and saliva, thrives in congested, unsanitary displacement camps. Many children have never been immunized before as a decades-old conflict has made it difficult for health workers to reach remote areas from which they come.So far this year, almost 5,700 cases of suspected measles have been reported across the country, more than the total number of cases in 2016. More than 100,000 people have come to Baidoa, in Somalia’s south-western region, in search of assistance, including at least 70,000 in March alone.The threat of famine once again looms large over Somalia. Up to a million children are, or will be, acutely malnourished this year, with one in five requiring life-saving treatment. “And we know only too well from the 2011 famine that measles, combined with malnutrition and displacement, is an especially lethal combination for children,” said Mr. Lauwerier. “The only way to prevent sickness and death from measles is to make sure all children receive the vaccine.” The Baidoa campaign is being conducted in partnership with Somalia’s Ministry of Health, the World Health Organization (WHO), and several non-governmental organizations.Children are also given a vitamin A supplement to boost immunity as well as de-worming tablets. read more

Charlie Gards parents extremely upset by public backlash

first_imgCharlie Gard with the toy monkey his father often carries to court with himCredit:PA “He is not helping us and he is certainly not helping Charlie”, he said. “All he has done is tarnish the reputation of two parents who have been trying to save their son and we are getting a stream of abusive messages because of it.”He claimed that a GOSH allegation that other parents were “harassed” related to a time when Mr Seton-Marsden had asked other “distressed parents” to sign a petition and the family were unaware it was happening at the time. Mr Gard added: “We have always acted in Charlie’s best interests and we have never slated GOSH publicly, in fact we have been grateful to the staff for their care despite some conflicting issues.”All the quotes you read in the media criticising GOSH, have come from him, not us.” A source close to Mr Seton-Marsden maintained that he had always been acting with knowledge of the parents and said that he had never attempted to get anyone to sign a petition in GOSH. A rally in support of Charlie was yesterday held outside the Royal Courts of Justice by the American pro-life lobbyists who have flown to Britain to back the family. Gregory Mertz, from organisation CitizenGO who organised the gathering, said they were hopeful that Charlie would be given residency in the US when the House of Representatives voted on the issue at the beginning of next week.  Charlie’s parents, who are in their 30s and come from Bedfont, west London, have already lost battles in the High Court, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court in London.They have also failed to persuade European Court of Human Rights judges to intervene.But as they prepared for the last-ditch legal battle, Mr Gard and Miss Yates were caught up in a row over the actions of some people claiming to support their case. Miss Yates said they are “extremely upset by the backlash” they have received since the hospital put out a statement on Saturday night as they only have Charlie’s “best interests at heart”.  She added that they had been subjected to “hurtful comments”.  Charlie Gard with the toy monkey his father often carries to court with him She said: “Despite conflicting issues, we have always had the utmost respect for all the staff who work tirelessly at Great Ormond Street Hospital and the very difficult jobs they do every day.“And, like them, we have been shocked by some of the public response to this case and agree with them that it is disgraceful that doctors have received death threats.”Mr Gard used a social media post to distance himself from Mr Seton-Marsden, a former Ukip candidate, writing that he was not a spokesperson for the family and he had put out statements that they had not consented to.  Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Connie Yates and Chris Gard arriving at the Royal Courts of Justice Credit:PA Connie Yates and Chris Gard arriving at the Royal Courts of Justice  Mr Gard accused Alasdair Seton-Marsden, who has previously delivered statements on their behalf, of fueling some of the backlash toward the hospital after he claimed that GOSH statement was a “cynical ploy”. The parents will return to the High Court today to try and persuade the judge to allow their 11-month-old son to travel to America for experimental treatment for his rare genetic condition. Mr Justice Francis has warned that he will not re-run any evidence that has already been before the court  and he has asked lawyers to prepare a list of what is actually “new material” in the case. He is expected to give a ruling on Tuesday.  Show more The parents of Charlie Gard have accused their former spokesman of “tarnishing” their reputation as they revealed that they have received backlash over threats to Great Ormond Street Hospital. Chris Gard and Connie Yates said that they were “extremely upset” after receiving a wave of criticism when GOSH put out a statement confirming that they had called in the police after their staff had been threatened and the parents of other patients “harassed”. The couple condemned anyone attacking staff and said that it was “disgraceful that doctors have received death threats”.  last_img read more