Adebayor double sinks Swansea

first_imgFor Swansea, an eighth successive league match without a win left Michael Laudrup’s men just three points above the relegation zone.The Welsh club had early chances at the Liberty Stadium, with Hugo Lloris saving Jonjo Shelvey’s long-range shot and striker Wilfried Bony hitting the crossbar when the France goalkeeper had been beaten by a powerful shot.Swansea also had appeals for a penalty rejected by referee Martin Atkinson after Ivory Coast forward Bony was pushed in the back by Spurs defender Michael Dawson inside the box.But, against the run of play, Togo international Adebayor gave Spurs a 35th minute lead when he powered in a header following an excellent first-time cross from Christian Eriksen.And the north London side made it 2-0 in the 53rd minute when Flores turned Kyle Walker’s cross into his own net with Spurs’ Nacer Chadli waiting behind him.Spurs wasted a chance to make it 3-0 when Mousa Dembele shot wide with Adebayor unmarked just yards from goal.However, Adebayor’s fury turned to joy when, moments later, Spurs again opened up the frail Swansea defence.Danny Rose did not repeat Dembele’s mistake but instead squared the ball to Adebayor who tapped from in from close range in the 71st minute.Bony pulled a goal back seven minutes later with a shot from the edge of the box but it was all too late for Swansea.“Even when they (Swansea) were having a lot of possession I thought we were the most dangerous side and it was just a matter of time before we clicked and found that final ball, and we did that many times in the second half and we could have gone on and won more comfortably,” Sherwood told Sky Sports.Turning to Adebayor, the Spurs boss added: “It’s great. It’s obviously great for the football club and great for Ade himself, who’s flying at the moment and enjoying his football.“He plays with a smile on his face and he’s finding the back of the net.”Sunday’s other top-flight match sees high-flyers Chelsea at home to Manchester United.The Blues will kick off nine points in front of faltering champions United, who will be without injured striker Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie.Victory for Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea would see them move to within a point of league leaders Arsenal.By contrast, a United defeat at Stamford Bridge would increase the pressure on boss David Moyes, whose team are currently an unusually lowly seventh in their first season since the retirement of Alex Ferguson, Britain’s most successful manager.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000LONDON, January 19 – Emmanuel Adebayor scored twice as Tottenham Hotspur moved level on points with fourth-placed Liverpool in the Premier League after a 3-1 win away to struggling Swansea on Sunday.Adebayor’s goals, separated by a Chico Flores own-goal, ensured Tottenham remained unbeaten in the league under manager Tim Sherwood, whose record now stands at five wins and a draw since the Englishman replaced sacked predecessor Andre Villas-Boas.last_img read more

Howard criticises Afro-Asian bloc for ICC leadership snub

first_imgFormer Australian prime minister John Howard on Wednesday hit out at the Afro-Asian members of the International Cricket Council for not disclosing the reason why they rejected his candidature for the ICC vice-president’s post.Howard’s ambition to head the International Cricket Council after India’s Sharad Pawar was thwarted by the powerful Afro-Asian bloc at an ICC Executive Board meeting in Singapore on Wednesday.”Those who’ve indicated they don’t support it have not given a reason. Even in private discussions, they’re very reluctant to give a particular reason. It’s certainly an unusual situation because I haven’t been told, nor have the representatives of Cricket Australia been told, why this attitude at this stage should be as it is,” he said.”My nomination went forward with the full support of both Australia and New Zealand and I’m disappointed at the outcome. I wanted to do this job, I felt I could do it well and I would have devoted my full time to it,” Howard was quoted as saying by the ‘Sky News’.Howard said if his candidature was rejected because of his past link with politics, it would set a “bad precedent”.”That’s not been said although it’s been widely speculated. If it was in some way based on past political positions, well that’s a very bad precedent to be establishing,” he said.Howard’s tough stance against Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe and past criticism of Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan were believed to be the key factors behind ICC’s decision.But a defiant Howard said he would wear it as a “badge of honour” if African members rejected him because of his hardline stance against Zimbabwe President Mugabe while in office.advertisement”I wear the criticism as a badge of honour. I don’t apologise in any way for the criticism I offered of the Mugabe regime. If it was in some way based on past political positions, well that’s a very bad precedent to be establishing for the ICC,” he said.”I’m out of politics. I don’t have any political agenda internationally other than of course promoting good relations between Australia and our long-term friends, many of which are cricket-playing nations in both Asia and Africa.last_img read more

Caribbean States Urged to Develop Regional Bamboo Industry

first_img “Bamboo’s time has come… as we aim to extend the agro-based sector beyond the traditional crops of sugar, banana, coffee, cocoa and spices,” Senator Reid said while speaking during the opening ceremony for the Caribbean International Bamboo Symposium at the Jamaica Conference Centre, downtown Kingston, on Tuesday (November 27). Minister of Education, Youth and Information, Senator the Hon. Ruel Reid, says the development of a regional bamboo industry is critical in further diversifying the Caribbean’s agricultural product offerings.“Bamboo’s time has come… as we aim to extend the agro-based sector beyond the traditional crops of sugar, banana, coffee, cocoa and spices,” Senator Reid said while speaking during the opening ceremony for the Caribbean International Bamboo Symposium at the Jamaica Conference Centre, downtown Kingston, on Tuesday (November 27).Senator Reid, who represented Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, noted that the global bamboo industry, which values approximately US$60 billion, “is big business”, which the Caribbean must seek to exploit.“Today, in the 21st century, we must look to the development of new industries, like the bamboo industry and the cannabis industry, and a range of nutraceuticals such as castor beans, to provide a ready opportunity for the modernisation and diversification of agriculture and agro-industry,” he said.The Minister noted that Jamaica and other Caribbean countries that recognise the bamboo industry’s vast potential to enhance sustainable economic growth, are ready to vigorously promote this big business.“I want to assure you that the Government of Jamaica is committed to offer the requisite leadership and support and to work with all stakeholders to find the best outcomes for this emerging industry,” he said.Meanwhile, Senator Reid said it is imperative that Caribbean nations pursue climate-proof agriculture in order to mitigate the impact of natural disasters, regarded as the sector’s biggest threat.“My appeal is that we all intensify strategies and pay special attention to climate change and its impact on agriculture and economies in the region,” he emphasised.The Minister also called on regional states to “seriously pursue” expanded utilisation of renewable energy in agriculture and industry.“Even though we contribute but a miniscule portion to the carbon footprint in Jamaica, for example, we are doing our part to aid the reduction of the carbon footprint,” he stated.Senator Reid pointed out that Prime Minister Holness recently revised the national target to provide 30 per cent of the country’s energy needs through renewables by 2030, to 30 per cent by 2020 and 50 per cent by 2030.“I believe a bamboo industry that produces charcoal and a wide range of other ‘enviro-friendly’ products that can replace plastics, is also a part of the solution to adaptation,” he said.The two-day Symposium is being held under the auspices of the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, and the International Bamboo and Rattan Organisation (INBAR), among other stakeholders.It brings together relevant regional stakeholders from government, civil society and the private sector in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) for discussions intended to heighten awareness about bamboo’s potential as a strategic resource for poverty alleviation, green growth, increased trade and investment, and natural disaster mitigation.The specific objective is to provide a forum for expanded dialogue to highlight best practices on green economic growth and increased regional and international trade and investment in bamboo; and consensus on the development of a road map for a new regional programme – Bamboo for the Caribbean – that enables CARICOM Member States to fully realise the potential of their bamboo resources.The Bamboo Symposium is the first forum of its kind to be held in the Western Hemisphere. Story Highlights Minister of Education, Youth and Information, Senator the Hon. Ruel Reid, says the development of a regional bamboo industry is critical in further diversifying the Caribbean’s agricultural product offerings. Senator Reid, who represented Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, noted that the global bamboo industry, which values approximately US$60 billion, “is big business”, which the Caribbean must seek to exploit. last_img read more

More foggers more manpower mosquito nets – Zika now in Jamaica

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciaes, 04 Feb 2016 – The Government says it will dip into the Contingency Fund to beef-up on mosquito control so that the TCI remains Zika-free; the Premier as the Health Minister says he is getting more foggers and getting more manpower as the Zika Virus is now deemed a global health emergency. That news is on time as yet another Caribbean country is added to the list of where not to go if you are pregnant; Jamaica has now been named. It is yet another destination to which the TCI is linked via airline and freight shipping. Director of Environment Health Department, Kenrick Neely explained that he and his team will increase house to house inspections because the Aedes Aegypti lives and breeds near homes or dwelling places. In fact, EHD has been holding meetings since Monday with the various Pastors’ fraternities and Youth Groups – Grand Turk, Provo and South Caicos are in focus this week. The EHD believes this tactic, at this time is more effective than town hall meetings. The hotel sector was present and it was explained that resorts have their own vector control measures to ward off mosquitoes and sand flies. Nonetheless, the sector is going a step further, Ken Patterson of the Seven Stars resort:“We are introducing mosquito netting on all of our four poster beds within in our guest rooms, in order to try to keep our guests safe. We always give out on a complimentary basis any bug sprays in our restaurants, on our beach and in our beach bar.” The resounding message at that media briefing on Friday, held at the Office of the Premier was how clean we all need to be; clean up campaigns, personal cleanliness around homes, schools and work sites is strongly encouraged. Babies born with brain damage, a mosquito virus being spread through sexual contact – all no joke; just yesterday Tonga and Europe too were said to be facing Zika. CDC supports CARPHA in Zika PR Campaign materials to region Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:Environmental health, kendrick neely, mosquito nets, ZIka Turks and Caicos Premier says nation ‘elated’ over removal from Zika list; praises CARPHA and CARICOM Recommended for you No Zika reports for TCIlast_img read more

PRESS RELEASE Elections Department distributes Candidate Nomination Pack

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Lister Dudley LewisSupervisor of Elections Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, November 8, 2016 – The Candidates Nomination Pack for Turks and Caicos Islands general election schedule for December 15, 2016 has been launched by the Supervisor of Elections Lister Dudley Lewis on Friday November 4, 2016.The pack contains all the various items that every candidate or political party will need to complete to ensure that they are correctly nominated and that they have met all of the necessary legal requirements to allow them to stand for election.It includes detailed guidance notes about these requirements and a helpful checklist so that candidates can ensure that their nomination paper has been properly completed, including all of the other required forms that must be submitted to either the Returning Officer or the Supervisor of Elections.According to the election timetable, the Governor has issued the formal Writ for election on Monday 31st October, 2016 and the published notice for nomination day is November 18th 2016.Candidates must submit their nominations at the venues specified in the notices between the hours of 10am and 1pm and then 2pm and 4pm on Nomination day.  All nominations have to be made by that last time stipulated.   The list of Candidates for each electoral district and for the All Island district nominated will be published no later than November 19, 2016.Mr. Lewis stated; “Although many people have come forward and said that it is their intention to stand for election, they cannot do so unless they have met all the requirements stated in the nomination pack and they submit the correctly completed application by the deadline and pay the required deposit of $500.00.”The nomination pack can be obtained from the elections office in Grand Turk or Providenciales.  Any questions about the nomination pack should be directed to the Elections Office Woodville Court, Pond Street Grand Turk or call Telephone 649-338-2302 or 649-2558.center_img Related Items:last_img read more

Alpine businessmen are now directors on the board of the Alpine Mountain

first_img September 20, 2018 Lauren Phinney Lauren Phinney, Posted: September 20, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsALPINE (KUSI) – Two successful Alpine businessmen are now directors on the board of the Alpine Mountain Empire Chamber of Commerce!While working as new board members, Chris Wiley, branch manager of Primary Residential Mortgage, Inc., and realtor Jeff Campbell, owner-broker of San Diego Estates, have already developed new ideas to help area communities thrive.Wiley and Campbell are working with Chamber Chairman Joseph Perricone of The Canvas Makers; Vice Chairman Bob Ring, Alpine Barons Market; Treasurer Jan Morse, On Line Bookkeeping & Tax Service, and Director Rose Signore, Postal Annex of Alpine.Both new board members are known for their business savvy, their involvement in area communities and causes, and their sense of humor. “I’ve been a mortgage banker for 28 years now,” Wiley said. “I’ve always been interested in real estate and math, but I didn’t necessarily want to do that.”Once he became a businessman, he said, “first thing I did was join the Chamber.” “I want to help the businesses in Alpine grow with more money,” he said. “With more money, there are more organizations.”  Wiley said a lot of people don’t know what the Alpine and Mountain Empire region offers.Thursday, Chris Wiley and Jeff Campbell were in studio to tell us all about their new positions. Alpine businessmen are now directors on the board of the Alpine Mountain Empire Chamber of Commerce Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more